Light a Lamp creates a platform for its students where skills, expertise, resources and need-based guidance can be rendered by a team of successful professionals and intellectuals from diverse backgrounds.
Started in 2009 by volunteers of The Art of Living foundation, Light a Lamp is a mentoring program for underprivileged children and youth in Kolkata’s urban slums. The program empowers underprivileged children through mentorship, education, yoga, and meditation.
Light A Lamp aims to create a loving, mentoring bond between the privileged strata of society and the children and youth from low-income backgrounds, to kindle in them the spirit of learning and enable them to grow up into beautiful and responsible human beings
- Create a platform where skills, expertise, resources and need-based guidance can be rendered to the under-privileged children and youth.
- Bridge the knowledge gap in society
- Inculcate human values amongst the learners like belongingness, honesty, integrity and responsibility towards the society
- Create an interest towards active volunteering amongst educated citizens
We leverage a pool of successful professionals from diverse backgrounds to provide mentorship to children and youth from low-income backgrounds and guide them in various academic, professional and emotional aspects.
The program curriculum includes
The curriculum revolves around ‘student-centered’
learning on aspects such as:
Giving individual attention to every student
Teaching students based on their competency
Making learning fun with games and teaching aids
Encouraging students to take ownership of what they want to learn
Light a Lamp currently operates across the following centres
- Adarsh Hindi Vidyalaya, Alipore, Kolkata
- Janakalyan Shiksha Samity School, Dhapa, Kolkata
- Ultadanga, Kolkata
- Pranab Kanya Ashram, Sector 1, Salt Lake, Kolkata
- Dakshini Prayash, Madurdaha, Kolkata